Hello and welcome to my website.
From early on in my education career my passion has been to support positive outcomes for individuals on the autism spectrum, their families and the professionals that work with and for them. My three decades of experience of working in education and other settings, with individuals, families and professional colleagues includes:
- Appointment as one of a team of Inclusion Experts for Autism for a Department for Education project
- 12 years as an autism specialist and local authority advisory teacher for autism (all ages)
- 15 years as a classroom practitioner and senior leader (Assistant Head and Autism Co-ordinator) in mainstream and special schools, with individuals from the age of 2 years to adulthood.
- 4 years as a full-time independent autism consultant and trainer for all age groups and settings
- Work with individuals,schools,colleges,universities,parents, voluntary organisations, charities,local authorities, the Department for Education and other organisations to promote optimal understanding, support and inclusion of children, young people and adults and their families.
- Significant family experience of living with a person who identifies as being on the autism spectrum and has encountered mental health issues in relation to their challenging experiences as well as being able to use their strengths to overcome some of those issues. I weave this personal experience and empathy into all my work
- Post Graduate Certificate in Autism at Master’s Level from Birmingham University and attendance certificate for a Post Graduate Certificate in Asperger’s Syndrome from Sheffield Hallam University
- Keeping current with evidence-based approaches and what’s new in the research field of autism and sharing knowledge and good practice through my courses, consultancy, blog and Facebook Page
- Over my working life I have achieved a range of autism and SEND related certificates and participated in many autism related conferences and written articles for a range of publications and organisations
- I am an approved provider for OCN Credit4Learning (courses at Level 3 and 4)
- I have a current Enhanced DBS certificate and professional insurance
My training and consultation services can support you to understand and relate to the range of difficulties experienced by autistic individuals of any age and help you to problem solve challenges with learning, behaviour and inclusion encountered in your setting as well as providing practical skills based upon evidence- based good autism practice. This combination of teamwork can be transformative.
For more details of what I offer please see the relevant pages on my website or contact me personally for a free initial consultation via my Contact page. I am based in Teesside, United Kingdom but happy to travel for commissioned services.