Hello and welcome to my website.
From early on in my education career as a teacher my passion has been to support positive outcomes for individuals on the autism spectrum, their families and the professionals that work with and for them. My three decades of experience of working in education and other settings, with individuals, families and professional colleagues includes:
- Appointment as an Autism Inclusion Expert for the Department for Education
- 12 years as an autism specialist and local authority advisory teacher for autism (all ages)
- 15 years as a classroom practitioner and senior leader (Assistant Head and Autism Co-ordinator) in mainstream and special schools, with individuals from the age of 2 years to adulthood.
- 4 years as a full-time independent autism consultant and trainer for all age groups and settings
- SEND Governor at a local primary school
- Work with individuals, schools, colleges, universities, parents, voluntary organisations, charities, local authorities, the Department for Education and other organisations to promote optimal understanding, support and inclusion of children, young people and adults and their families.
- Family experience of neurodiverse and mental health needs. I weave this personal experience, compassion and empathy into all of my work as well as being able to relate to the pressure of professional environments such as schools as a result of my lengthy experience in such settings
- Post Graduate Certificate in Autism at Master’s Level from Birmingham University and attendance certificate for a Post Graduate Certificate in Asperger’s Syndrome from Sheffield Hallam University
- Keeping current with evidence-based approaches and what’s new in the research field of autism and sharing knowledge and good practice through my courses, consultancy, blog and Facebook Page
- Over my working life I have achieved a wide range of autism and SEND related certificates including TEACCH, PECS, Early Bird and Early Bird Plus ( area co-ordinator) , Intensive Interaction and many , many more. I have also participated in many autism related conferences, written articles for a range of publications and organisations and my work used by the DfE for good practice case studies on paper and film
- I have provided supporting evidence for a range of legal cases
- I have advised on autism friendly strategic development for a range of organisations including ( but not exclusive to) charities, local authorities , schools, colleges, theatres , art galleries, voluntary agencies , sports facilities , workplaces and architectural/design companies (autism friendly designs and environments), and many more
- I am an approved provider for OCN Credit4Learning (courses at Level 3 and 4)
- I have a current Enhanced DBS certificate and professional insurances ( PII and PPLI)
- If you wish to see copies of any of the above certificates or need to know more about my extensive experience please do not hesitate to contact me via the Contact Form
- Finally and most importantly I put at the heart of my work the voice and experiences of autistic individuals, both the challenges and the positives. This is derived from my lived experience of neurodiverse individuals , consultation and agreement with autistic friends and colleagues, my work with autistic children ,young people and adults over many years and my regular reading of blogs and autobiographical accounts, all of which I consider my biggest influence. Learners on my courses often comment upon how central the lived experience of autistic people is and how much they learn about their perspective and experiences. I am and will continue to be person – centred and respectful of the autistic community and seek to build bridges in society wherever possible by increasing understanding and acceptance wherever I can
I believe that my training and consultation services can support you to understand and relate to the range of difficulties, strengths and talents experienced by autistic individuals of any age and those around them and to help you to problem solve challenges with learning, behaviour and inclusion encountered in your setting as well as providing practical skills derived from the voice and experience of autistic people and international , evidence-based, good autism practice which is effective for many individuals whether they are neurodiverse or neurotypical. This combination of teamwork can be transformative. For a small sample of feedback on my services please see the Client Feedback page on this website and also at the bottom of other pages on the site.
For more details of what I offer please see the relevant pages on my website or contact me personally for a free initial consultation via my Contact Form, found at the top of this page. I am based in Teesside, United Kingdom but happy to travel for commissioned services.